Wednesday 23 February 2011

Be careful what you wish for?

So yesterday I was talking to one of my best friends about how nobody outside of my inner circle really challenges me.  I have a bit of a tigress attitude sometimes and I will fight for my point of view to the end.  I defend my friends, my team at work and even my patients frequently.  People know this about me and, especially at work, I tend to get my way.  Woe is me right? But I wish people would challenge my point of view more (at work and in life), because when you are challenged you are compelled to reflect and when you reflect you improve. 

"I love argument, I love debate.  I don't expect anyone just to sit there and agree with me, that's not their job." - Margaret Thatcher

So as if on cue, I got in a discussion last night about a poker situation that I feel strongly about.  I was challenged to defend my opinion and told that my argument was "pure nonsense" and "empty".  While I still don't agree entirely with my debate buddy, I appreciate what he said and it gave me a different view of the topic.  I need to get into more of these situations in my estimation.  As we chatted, I found I became non verbal and struggled to convey exactly how I saw the situation.  I felt flustered and pissed off, but afterward felt exhilarated and intrigued.  Either way, after discussions on the same topic with numerous people, he is the first person in three years or so that has caused me to soften and change my feelings towards the topic.

Thanks.  I hope we have more discussions in the future even though it made me roar.  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment